M. Ravindran was born on June 1, 1944. He received his Bachelor’s of engineering degree at PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore in 1966, Master’s of Technology in 1969, and Ph.D in 1978 in the area of turbo machines at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras. He had joined the faculty in the Department of Mechanical Engineering, IIT Madras in 1969 and was deputed to Technical University in Munich, Germany during 1972 – 74 for advance research in Hydraulic machinery. He moved during 1982 to the newly formed Ocean Engineering Centre to begin research and development on ocean energy conversion and other related Ocean technologiesnlikeDredging and Deep-sea mining systems. He was nominated as Head of Ocean Engineering Centre, IIT Madras during 1988-1991. In November 1993,Prof. Ravindran was invited to take over as the Director of the newly formed National Institute of Ocean Technology (NIOT), which is a technical arm of the Department of Ocean Development, Government of India. As the Director of NIOT, he had co-ordinated various technology development programmes in the areas of wave energy, Ocean Thermal Energy, Coastal and Environmental Engineering, Deep Sea Mining, Underwater Instrumentation, moored and profiling data buoys and also acquisition of Ocean Research Vessels. Prof. Ravindran superannuated from the post of Director, NIOT, on 30th May 2004. Prof. Ravindran had been a member of the following International / National Bodies: -
· Vice Chairman of Inter Governmental Oceanographic Commission of UNESCO, Paris – 1995 -97.
· Legal and Technical Commission, International Seabed Authority, Jamaica 2002 – 04.
· State Coastal Zone Management Authority, Govt. of Tamilnadu1998 –20 04.
· Chairman of the Hydrodynamics panel of Naval Research Board, DRDO,Delhi from its inception in 1996 upto 2010.
· Took over the Chairmanship of Naval Research Board , DRDO, Delhi during 2011-2015
Important Awards :
· Prof. H. Dill gold medal of Society of Bioscience, for the year 2002 – 2003
· Ocean Science & Technology Development Award of Ministry of Earth Sciences,Govt.of India, New Delhi for contribution in the field of ocean sciences, for the year 2004 – 2005
· Awarded a special plaque in recognition of his eminence and contribution to the profession of Marine Engineering by the Institution of Engineers (India) Karnataka State Centre ,on the occasion of the 24th National Convention of Marine Engineers ,August 27-28,2010
Educational and Society oriented Activities :* Was a member of the Managing Committee of the Vanavani Matriculation School, IIT, Madras Campus ,during 1979 -1991 and was its Chairman during 1991-1994 • Was associated with GandhigramTrust ,Dindigul ,since 1987 in the design and development of small machinery for use in their Rural Industries . Became a Trustee of Gandhigram Trust and the Khadi and village Industries Trust, Gandhigram, Dindigu; Dist, Tamilnadu from 2012 onwards. • Advisor, RUTAG (Rural Technology Action Group ) of IIT ,Madras during 2004 to 2010 and developed innovative designs for rural applications. * One of the Founder and Life time Trustees of the “Tribal Health Initiative”, Sittilingi, Dharmapuri District 1993 onwards. This Trust is running a hospital and provides health carefor tribals apart from supporting Organic farming, hand embroidery works of Lambadi women. A training workshop for school dropouts has been established in the tribal village of Sittiling