DR. JAMES R. MCFARLANE,
OC, CD, P.ENG, FCAE
Dr. McFarlane served in the Canadian Armed Forces, both afloat and ashore. During this 18 year period he held among others the positions of Special Projects Officer, Senior Structural Engineer and Staff Officer Construction on the staff of the Canadian Naval Submarine Technical Representatives with technical responsibilities related to the Canada Oberon Class submarines built in England. Dr. McFarlane also obtained bridge and engine room watch keeping tickets. On his return from England Dr. McFarlane was appointed Senior Structural Engineer and Project System Engineer for a diving tender and Project Manager for the SDL-I Diver Lockout Submersible.
Following his retirement from the Canadian Forces as a Lieutenant Commander, Dr. McFarlane joined Interna-tional Hydrodynamics as Vice President of Engineering and Operations. In this capacity he had personal responsibility for development, construction, trials and operations of the company’s submersibles, their ancillary equipment and launch and recovery systems.
Dr. McFarlane is the founder and current president of ISE since 1974 and has been involved with the design, construction, and operation of manned, tethered and untethered ROVs (Remotely Operated Vehicles) as well as subsystems of these vehicles which includes manipulators and computer control systems. Since that time, Dr. McFarlane has been a part of engineering teams that have built over 400 robotic manipulators and over 200 vehicles.
Dr. McFarlane is the author of many papers on submarines, manned submersibles, ROVs and AUVs (Autonom-ous Underwater Vehicles). He has also made keynote presentations in Europe, Southeast Asia, USA and Canada. Dr. McFarlane has served on many committees for international meeting and as a guest speaker at many conferences. He has also received many awards. His Curriculum Vitae includes:
Dr. McFarlane is an Officer of the Order of Canada, a Member of the Canadian Academy of Engineering, Sigma Xi, MTS, IEEE, a Life Member (Corporate) of MINWARA, and is a Professional Engineer in the Province of British Columbia.
Principal Research Scientist / Group Leader
Earthquake and Tsunami Research Project for Disaster Prevention
Technology Development Group.
Dr.Katsuyoshi Kawaguchi was born in Tokyo, Japan, in 1964. He received the B.E. degree in ocean engineering in 1987 and the M.S. degree in marine science in 1989, and the Ph. D degree in marine science in 1993, from Tokai University, JAPAN.
From 1993 to 1995, he was a lecturer at Department of Marine Mineral Resources of Tokai University. Between 1995 and 1996, he worked at University of Hawaii, Mechanical Engineering Department as a Post-Doctoral Research staff. From 1996 to 1998, he was a Post-Doctoral Researcher at Japan Marine Science and Technology Center, Deep Sea Research Department. In 1998, he had a tenure researcher track in Japan Marine Science and Technology Center (present name: Japan Agency for Marine-earth Science and Technology) and became a principal research scientist in 2008. Since 2008, he is directing the technology development group, Earthquake and Tsunami Research Project for Disaster Prevention.
His research background is underwater robotics (hardware and software design, and control) and ocean observing system development. He is currently involved to develop the geo-scientific real time seafloor observation system and its applications.
Dr. V. Bhujanga Rao,
Dr. V. Bhujanga Rao, Distinguished Scientist joined DRDO on 19th May 1973 at DRDL, Hyderabad, and later moved to NSTL on 08 July 1975. He has also been given additional charge of DG - Naval Systems and Materials (NS & M) He has since served the organisation in various capacities and became its Director from 01 April 2006 until he moved to DRDO HQs and took over as CC R&D (HR) on 01 April 2011 and continued till December 2012. He was appointed as CC R&D (NS) on 1st Jan 2013 and currently he is CC R&D (NS&IC) from 1st March 2013.EDUCATION
- M.Sc Physics (Acoustics), Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati, 1972
- M.S (Mechanical Engineering), Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, 1986
- Ph.D (Mechanical Engineering), Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Hyderabad, 1992
- Ph.D (Technology Management), Devi Ahilya Viswa Vidyalaya, Indore, 2002
- MK NAMBIAR MEMORIAL ORATION AWARD by IABMS (2012)
- Dr. V Bhujanga Rao Endowment Lecture” instituted by GITAM University, Visakhapatnam from 2012
- VASVIK AWARD for Mechanical Sciences (7 Oct 2011)
- DRDO TECHNOLOGY LEADERSHIP AWARD (2010)
- HONORARY PROFESSOR, Andhra University College of Engineering (2010-12)
- DRDO SILICON TROPHY FOR OUTSTANDING CONTRIBUTION TOWARDS DEVELOPMENT OF DEFENCE SYSTEMS for 2008 received from Defence Minister of India (2010)
- FELLOW OF ANDHRA PRADESH AKADEMI OF SCIENCES (2010)
- EXCELLENCE IN R&D AWARD, Bharat Electronics Limited (2009)
- NATIONAL DESIGN AWARD from National Design Research Foundation under the Aegis of Institution of Engineers India (Presented at Indian Engineering Congress, 2009)
- STANLEY L EHRLICH GOLD MEDAL from India Regional Centre of Acoustical Society of America for developing Cochlear Implant Prosthesis indigenously. (Presented at National Symposium on Acoustics on 26 Nov 2009)
- ORGANISATIONAL EXCELLENCE IN INNOVATION AWARD by Indian Institute of Industrial Engineering (2008)
- CORPORATE CITIZEN AWARD by Rotary Club of Waltair (2007)
- AGNI AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN SELF RELIANCE from Prime Minister (2005)
- SILVER MEDAL FROM ACOUSTICAL SOCIETY OF AMERICA for Contribution to Engineering Acoustics (2005)
- MS NARAYANAN ORATION AWARD, Acoustical Society of India (2005)
- CERTIFICATE OF COMMENDATION from Scientific Adviser to Defence Minister on National Science Day (2000)
- FELLOW OF NATIONAL ACADEMY OF ENGINEERING(FNAE), (1999)
- SCIENTIST OF THE YEAR AWARD FOR 1993, received in 1996 from Prime Minister of India.
- DRDO TECHNOLOGY AWARD for Studies on Gas Turbine Vibration (1992)
- COMMODORE GARG MEMORIAL LECTURE AWARD for the Best Technical Paper (1991)
Dr. Bhujanga Rao has specialized in Warship Technology, Weapon Hydrodynamics, Weapon Hydroballistics, Submersible Design, Integrated Naval Stealth (Acoustics, Infrared, Electromagnetic, Shock, Noise and Vibration) and Technology Management.